Come Home to Brush Hill
Clarendon Hills, located 16 miles from Chicago, is a small town that has managed to keep up with the times and with the needs of its residents. The village's founding father, Henry Middaugh, came to the area in 1854 and purchased 270 acres of land. He was mistakenly sent daisy seed instead of grass seed for his livestock to graze. The flowers that sprouted on his fields are now a symbol of the village. Middaugh also built a 20-room mansion that has become famous for its hand-carved wood designs. The town incorporated in 1924 after residents voted not to become part of neighboring Hinsdale.
A redevelopment project in the late 1990s brought new life to the central business district, which houses not only stores and restaurants but the village hall, the post office, the police department, the Metra Commuter Rail Line station and the library.
The park district maintains parks and playing fields and offers popular sports programs. The Lions Club operates a recently refurbished community pool. The Community House in neighboring Hinsdale is a nonprofit organization providing learning experiences for children and adults, counseling support and recreation and volunteer opportunities.
Housing in the village ranges from brick ranches to town-homes to new luxury homes topping $1 million. Adjacent to the central business district are new town-homes and condominiums aimed at empty-nesters and young professionals who want to walk to the train and into the village's downtown area.
Clarendon Hills students attend Hinsdale Elementary District 181, Maercker Elementary District 60 or Manning Elementary District 201. High school students attend Hinsdale High School District 86 or Westmont High School District 201.
Train commuters can choose either the Clarendon Hills or the West Hinsdale station. The village is located near Interstate 294 (the Tri-State Tollway) and Interstate 88 (The East-West Tollway) and is on the Pace Suburban Bus line.