Come Home to Brush Hill
Western Springs is located approximately 16 miles from Chicago. Incorporated in 1886, the Village received its name from the water of its clear springs. To this day, the village pumps its own water for its residents. The Water Tower, which is located in the middle of town at the Village Green, is the village symbol. Built in 1892, it is currently maintained by the Western Springs Historical Society.
With the help of a local community association Western Springs residents purchased the first school, Grand Avenue School, built in the village and converted it to a community center. The Thomas Ford Memorial Library was significantly expanded recently but maintains its original vintage character. The Western Springs Service Club, a private pool funded by community memberships, opened its new facilities in 1996 swimming season.
In 1997, the village dedicated a new recreation center to house its recreation department and extensive recreational programs. The park district maintains over 80 acres of parks and provides 10 neighborhood parks, 15 tennis courts, and several soccer and ball fields. Spring Rock Park is a 40-acre park that boasts playing fields and courts, walking paths, benches and flower gardens. The Bemis Woods Forest Preserve is north of the village along Salt Creek, offering picnic areas, bike trails, toboggan runs, cross country skiing, and nature studies.
The Theatre of Western Springs is well-known in the suburbs for producing first-rate community theater. The Children's Theatre of Western Springs offers a program that emphasizes the basics of theatre arts.
Elementary students are served by three elementary schools and one junior high in the Western Springs Elementary District 101. LaGrange Highlands School District 106, which includes grades kindergarten through eighth grade, lies immediately adjacent to the community and serves about one-quarter of the village residents. The south campus of Lyons Township High School District 204 is located in the village and serves the freshman and sophomore classes. The North campus serves the juniors and seniors and is located in nearby LaGrange. St. John of the Cross Roman Catholic elementary school is the only private school located within the community.
Western Springs is served by La Grange Memorial Hospital, a facility with more than 270 beds and more than 470 medical staff. Hinsdale Hospital is to the west of the village and has more than 460 beds and 500 physicians. In the late 1990s, both centers upgraded their obstetrics facilities.
Homes in the village range from Victorian mansions to twentieth-century prairie style to ranches. Newer luxury homes have also been built in the older part of the village.
The village has one stop on the Burlington Northern's Metra Commuter Rail line. Interstate 294 (Tri-State Tollway) sits at the suburb's northwest corner. Interstate 88 (the East-West Tollway) is north of the village and Interstate 55 (the Stevenson Expressway) is south of the village. Western Springs is also served by the Pace Suburban Bus System.